Georeferencing Lab

Today I completed my last weekly lab for GIS 5050 where I learned about georeferencing, editing, and creating 3D models.  This was probably the most time intensive lab of the six though I did not necessarily find it that difficult in terms of getting stuck on a specific task.  The lab just took a while to complete.  For the first exercise, I created a map that shows the University of West Florida campus in relation to an eagle nest immediately to the east in a forested area.  For this task, I created a multi-ring buffer with color-coded 330 and 660 foot conservation easement buffers.  In addition, I digitized two campus features from the raster:  Building 72 and Campus Lane.  I also georeferenced the survey plat for Heritage Hall by using control points, monitoring RMS values, and doing a polynomial transformation.



For the second task, I used some of the same elements and tasks from the previous one but created a 3D model of the UWF campus. I converted LIDAR to create a DEM in order to produce the 3D map. Overall I found this lab interesting and helpful, but I realize I still need some additional practice on these fronts.

Now I am ready to start work on the final course project....but after a short break!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfaces: TINs and DEMs

Python Fundamentals

GIS Portfolio