Exploring and Manipulating Data

This week in GIS Programming we learned about exploring and manipulating data. For the lab assignment, I developed a script that created a geodatabase with a dictionary of county seats in New Mexico and their population in 2020.

The flowchart shows the processes I followed in undertaking this task including: importing modules and classes, and setting the overwrite Output, creating a file geodatabase (FGDB), defining a variable to a feature class list, creating a for loop to copy all features to the new FGDB, creating a search cursor to be able to populate a newly created dictionary, printing the dictionary, and finally exporting the file from ArcGIS Pro Notebooks as a Python script:


Featured below are screenshots showing a successful execution of the script from IDLE, of which I was very pleased to accomplish on the first run!



 
I enjoyed completing this lab, and it was my favorite so far!  Just like last week, I appreciated learning more about the direct interplay of ArcGIS Pro and Python and this week’s lab included more of that.  Also, as my competence in programming and GIS progressed, this led to a higher level of confidence and understanding that allowed me to complete what I believe is a successful product.  I look forward to the final course module! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfaces: TINs and DEMs

Python Fundamentals

GIS Portfolio