Land Use/Land Cover Classification/Ground Truthing and Accuracy Assessment

This week in GIS 5027, I learned about land use/land cover (LULC) classification, and ground truthing and accuracy assessment.  For the lab assignment, I constructed a LULC map based on an aerial photograph of the northeastern area of Pascagoula, Mississippi. Here I recognized various elements and features that facilitated the classification.  Following this, I conducted an accuracy assessment of the LULC classification by ground truthing data via Google Street View.  Below is a map that shows 30 points created via the Create Random Points tool in ArcGIS Pro.  Here I achieved 86.6% accuracy with the classification as 26 out of 30 points were verified as true:

This assignment was time intensive, but helpful in enhancing my skills in aerial photograph interpretation and digitization of features.  I also found the exercise on accuracy assessment interesting as well, and I especially enjoyed the part that involved ground truthing randomly selected locations via Google Street View. I believe that the skills and techniques learned in this lab will be helpful in my own research in regards to investigating archaeological sites from aerial photographs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfaces: TINs and DEMs

Computer Cartography!

GIS Portfolio